[pct-l] Night lighting

Eugene Leafty atetuna at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 20:34:00 CST 2011

The days are short early in the hiking season, so unless you're fast, you
try to start hiking before sunrise.  I hike with a headlamp whenever it is
dark.  I can't risk hurting an ankle that's just starting to feel normal
again.  A headlamp is also priceless when nights are longer than days.

If you actually want brightness, there are three that I would consider.

Zebralight H51
Fenix HP10
Spark ST6

The first two use AA batteries are put out roughly the same amount of light
and cost roughly $60.  The Fenix has extremely long battery life, the
Zebralight trades that in exchange for being much lighter and more compact.

The Spark ST6 is actually a line of headlamps.  The weight is 50 grams
without a battery or head strap, and 150 grams with both.  The difference is
light output and battery life. One potential problem is that this light uses
a lithium 18650 battery or possibly a pair of CR123 batteries.  You need a
special charger for this.  Either you bounce the charger, or rotate
batteries back home to someone that's careful and attentive enough to charge
a battery that can be dangerous if overcharged.

That said, I usually try to set up camp before it gets dark.  That is
because good off-trail campsites can be hard to find even with a really
bright light.