[pct-l] Trying to enter Canada

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 00:25:47 CST 2011

JP wrote:

That's all I've really found out from my research, does anyone have any
experience with this?  I'd hate to be denied, but if I can't hike the last
few miles would you say that's worth the whole trip, I'd say 'yes'.  Anyway,
thanks for your honest opinions.

If you get denied (or decide not to apply), you can still hike to the border
then turn around and go 30 miles back to Rainy Pass where you can hitch a
ride out to I-5.  Yeah, that's a little anti-climactic but after 2565 miles
another 30 won't kill you.  The folks who go to Manning have to do another 8
anyway so it's really only 22 miles extra for you.  I think at least a few
people opted to do that last summer.

The only scenario in which that would be a problem is if you're squeaking in
during the last days of the hiking season and you might conceivably get
stuck if deep snow hits the high mountains between Rainy Pass and the border
while you're at the border.  Just keep an eye on the weather, I guess.

Eric