[pct-l] Trying to enter Canada

Joshua Pinedo joshua.pinedo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 22:22:36 CST 2011

Hello Friends,

So the bottom line is I don't think I'll be able to get into Canada to
finish my hike due to my past 'convictions'.  On December 20, 2002 I got a
DUI, it was ten days after my 18th birthday, first offense.  I can't
remember when I was actually convicted (its somewhere in a word.doc and I'm
being lazy), but it was sometime in maybe April 2003.  So if that were the
case, from what I've been reading I can apply for 'rehabilitation' to enter
Canada but can only do so if five years have passed since I finished my
sentence imposed, shouldn't be a problem to apply...BUT...on December 10,
2006 I got Reckless driving charge (yes on my Birthday, just graduated
college that winter too) leaving my college and finally moving back home.
Before I go any further, my DUI was deserved and I hope that never happens
again.  My Reckless involved me getting in the passing lane to get around
some slow traffic/18 wheelers, I was going 83 and got pulled, I don't have a
lead foot.  None of my charges were malicious or ended with any sort of
injury to anyone.  Now I'm thinking since it hasn't been five years since I
completed my reckless sentence, I was charged in March 07 maybe, again, I
have to look it up for the exact date.  So I'm reading that all I can now is
fill out the application for criminal rehabilitation and check 'for
information only', tell them the truth and hope that they can grant me the
right to apply for a temporary resident's permit.  That's all I've really
found out from my research, does anyone have any experience with this?  I'd
hate to be denied, but if I can't hike the last few miles would you say
that's worth the whole trip, I'd say 'yes'.  Anyway, thanks for your honest
opinions.

best,

JP