[pct-l] Water crossings in Oregon

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 10 21:41:52 CST 2011

I recall one scary glacial melt stream coming off Mt. Jefferson.
Should you slip, there was a steep gorge you could be washed into to
your death. I went through Oregon in July, which was about a month
before most of the thru-hikers go through. It was really cold. I mean
REALLY cold. The deepest it went to was my crotch. I didn't feel I
would slip to my death. (And I thanked god there was an opportunity
to clean my crotch!) After I crossed I looked at the gorge I could
have been washed into and shuddered, but while crossing I didn't feel
I would be washed away. It was really cold though. That was the worst
part.

There was another crossing north of Mt. Hood. I didn't see the sign
saying I needed to cross a special hiker bridge. I had come through
on the Ramona Falls alternate route and all the signs were pointing
the other way. When I got to the crossing, it was another cold
glacier melt stream but this time the bottom was soft with rolling
rocks. I could not get a purchase for a safe crossing. There was no
way across. I backtracked and saw the signs and found my way to the
hiker bridge that was a bouncy skinny log perched way over the creek.
Fun!

Basically, the creeks in Oregon and Washington either had bridges or
were scary, cold glacier streams but none of them held any power to
kill me in July or August, in my opinion.

Now, the creeks in the High Sierra in June were another matter! I did
swim there. I did chicken out and come back later (2 years and a few
months later.)

Diane (super creek weenie!)