[pct-l] Stoves

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 15:54:57 CST 2011

Mike,

Check out the zenstoves website  at
http://zenstoves.net/StveChoices.htm#Efficiency which is the most
comprehensive and informative site on the comparative value and weight
advantages on stoves and their fuels which I've been able to find.
Especially look at the charts for 'Daily Weight Averages of Various Stove
Systems' and 'Weight Data'.

I've used a variety of systems and was tempted by an alcohol stove myself,
but was looking for more inormation about the potential fuel weight
disadvantage for alcohol.  I'm personally using Esbit (Hexamine) now. The
addition of an aluminium foil wind screen should be factored in. This, and
it's reflective property, increases the efficiency of an Esbit system.

With this I can bring 24 oz of water to a boil with one tablet (1/2 oz.)
using an Evernew .9 liter kettle, with lid,  which has a broader base at the
fuel site than an MSR Titan. The weight of an Esbit stove is the same as a
Pocket Rocket, but a previous posting on this site has caused me to explore
using three titanium tent stakes as a platform for the kettle and a rock as
the tablet base.  This may compromise the efficiency to a minor degree, but
would save an 1 1/2 ozs.

As for the pros and cons of alcohol and canister stoves with respect to
safety issues their have been many threads over the last few months which
you can access and would be informative.