[pct-l] Stoves

Mike Jurasius debrisflowavalanche at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 14:26:18 CST 2011

Fellow PCTers,
I've been researching options for stoves. According to Yogi's PCT handbook and other resources many have been using alcohol stoves.  I've checked out zenstoves.com and experimented with constructing numerous soda can stoves with different jet designs. It is amazing how well a soda can stove works for it's simplicity....and it's quiet!!  Now the big question...how do others feel about the efficiency of this stove?  My concern is lighting it under stormy conditions. Additionally, is denatured alcohol abundant at many of the resupply points?  Can it be shipped via FedEx?  I was weighing its advantages to the MSR Whisperlight which I've used at high elevation without fail for years.
Mike