[pct-l] Drinking Water ...

Gerry Zamora gerry0625 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 07:40:10 CST 2011

Too funny.  I can so relate.
On Jan 8, 2011 12:33 AM, "jason moores" <jmmoores at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Outpost,
>
> I know what you mean, I spent 18 years drinkin nothin but beer and bourbon
because I couldn't stand the taste of water. Unfortunately it didn't
work-out as well for me as I had hoped. That's a story for another list
though.

> My first time on the trail, in '06, I hopped on at Tehachapi Pass the
third week of June. In hindsight this was both a bad place and time to
start. My massive pack was loaded down with three gallons of water and
perhaps thirty five pounds of food. I had read somewhere that I would burn
between 6,000 and 8,000 calories a day on the trail, so I decided to carry
8,000 just to play it safe. My two massive food bags were stuffed with every
type of trail food imaginable. Everything except something to improve the
taste of my water. I did have some Nido and Nestle's though.

> By the end of the first day of hiking I was getting pretty sick of the
taste of warm water. The next day wasn't any better. I would spend hours
fantasizing about cold beverages of every brand and flavor. Thinking about a
rootbeer float was the only thing that pushed me up the long and dry climb
to Robin Bird Spring. The miles ticked by and the water sources in the Piute
Mountains proved to be cool and refreshing. For a time I enjoyed the taste
of water again(though it may have been the pain pills that I was poppin like
Pez due to the pain in my feet). That ended when I reached the Kelso Valley.
When I arrived at the Kelso Road cache I found about 100 empty gallon jugs
tied together. I was able to gather about a liter from the dregs of the
jugs, and decided to take a long break in the shade of a Joshua Tree. This
teppid water had such a strong taste of plastic that I could barely bare to
drink it. Finally I did the only thing that I could think of, I made a big
ol' bottle of c
> hocolate milk. It was so damn goooood.
>
> So along come three "back of the pack" thrus hurrying down the trail to
reach the cache. I could hear their cussing when they discovered the cache
empty. The next water was many miles further along. Eventually they noticed
me sitting alone under my Joshua Tree and came by to say hi. Now let me tell
ya, these three fellas were more than a little bit shocked to see me sitting
there drinkin my chocolatey milk in the 100+ degree afternoon. They used the
term crazy more than a few times and I seem to remember a certain curse word
proceeding crazy. I could just imagine their conversation later that day
about the jolly fat guy sittin stoned in the desert, so happy to be drinking
anything other than water.

> Best damn chocolate milk ever.
>
> Jackass
>

>> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 19:32:36 -0800
>> From: paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
>> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>> Subject: [pct-l] Drinking Water ...
>>
>> Who here hates drinking water?
>>
>> i've never liked it. i'll go 3 weeks or more between tastes of water. i
get my
>> liquids from things like orange juice.
>>

>> i see people on the trail who tank up at water sources and they'll drink
a liter
>> of water. i begin to gag after about three swallows of the stuff.
>>
>> anyways my new years resolution is to train myself to drink water. i'm
actually
>> making myself drink a bottle of water before i can open a beer after work
; )
>> i'm hoping i can get myself to the point that i can drink insane amounts
like
>> the other people i saw out there.
>>
>> ... the funny thing is, on the trail; i guess my body knew i needed it
because
>> i didn't have a problem drinking water as long as i did it slowly.
>>
>> Does it really save anything to sit and drink 2 liters of water at a
water
>> source? the weight is still in you (your belly etc) ... does your body
process
>> it just as efficiently? do you guys tank up before a long dry stretch?
how