[pct-l] Avoiding humans, snakes, dogs, push ups and trekking poles on the PCT

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 21:09:54 CST 2011

to the OP  (was it Rob?)
as part of my job, i carry a pistol... so don't confuse what i'm saying...i'm a
HUGE second amendment fan and an avid rifle hunter.

but i have to question the seriousness, or readiness of a thru hiker who plans
on bringing a gun.  it shows a blatant misunderstanding of what the trail is
going to be like, in terms of weight issues, and perceived threats that aren't
really there.

if a dog is coming up on you and you are uncomfortable,  trekking poles would
more than do the trick.

if a dog is just walking by though; that's certainly no reason to go out of your
way and whack one.  use common sense. and go spend some time with dog getting
used to asserting your dominance over them.  in my job we end up in farmers
fields a lot, and i have a LOT of big dogs who are territorial.  you CAN
overcome it.  you CAN mentally control them.  it's about atitude as others have
said.  the trail goes throug ha lot of very travelled places.  you WILL have to
deal with dogs.  and that's their owner's right ... you are in the vast minority
by being an animal hater;  but it doesn't have to be a bad situation for either
you or the dog / owner.  as in all things, a little prep goes a long way.

additionally, California oregon and washington all have 'like force' laws which
means anything more than response of like force is considered assault.  man hits
you, you shoot him is NOT like force.   dog bite you, you kill dog,  is NOT like
force.   dog snarls and charges you,  you poke with stick... is acceptable like
force.  if you 'needlessly' attack a dog,  the owner is in his legal rights to
do harm to you in oregon and washington... i dont know about CA couldn't quickly
google an answer to that one...

my 2 pennies.