[pct-l] HMG Windrider Ultralight Pack

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 08:24:03 CST 2011

Hey Dale,

I have been putting on through some trials here in the Redwoods of Northern
California for a few weeks (along with their Echo1 tent.)

Pros:

(1) Lighter weight than ULA/GoLite (but not as light as a Zpacks)
(2) Their stays work just as well as the ULA 'u' shaped stay support I feel
(3) Waterproof. Yes, waterproof without a pack cover! Tested, Testing and
tested some more (but haven't jumped in a swimming pool with it on yet ;)
(4) Wicked cool Velcro encloser rather than a draw-string.

Cons:

(1) Hip pockets are seriously too small. My iPhone4 hardly fits inside of
it. They are also hella hard to zip open
(2) I find I cannot reach around to the side pouches and pull out a Gatorade
bottle (such I can with any ULA pack)
(3) No optional FrontPack feature for counter-balance and additional 300-500
cu in of storage.

Unknown Still:

(1) Durability. I have not really had this pack get snagged on anything yet.
Either the mesh nor the hybrid material they are using. I should
intentionally go and start walking through some 7 foot tall ferns today and
test this out. (hmm, good reason for going on a hike, eh!)
(2) Heavy Loads. At this point I have not had more than 20 pounds it in. My
base pack weight is only 8 or 9 pounds, so even if I throw a days water in
there and some food I haven't gotten over 18 pounds. But, here pretty soon I
plan to put a 25-30 pound load on it and see how it works out.

Their website says and "updated 2011" version is coming but they are not
providing any details yet - it is going to be interesting to see what
changes they make. If they do offer larger hip pockets I would probably
order a new one just for that. I typically store the days snacks in one hip
pocket and phone/gps/camera in the other (along with my gloves) and that is
just not possible with these ones without a struggle.

If you do get one, I'd love to hear your own experience with it!
John