[pct-l] Onion Valley/Kearsarge commercial horse resupply

Matthew Edwards Hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Sun Jan 2 22:38:59 CST 2011

Socks and I went out at Kearsarge pass to resupply on our thru hike in 2009.
I would highly recommend the route. The scenery and switchbacked trail is spectacular.
I think it's called Pothole lake.. It was amazing! The Kearsarge pinnacles too.
Getting a hitch was easy at the dead end trailhead.
You have the option of Independence, Lone Pine, and even Bishop (as we did) for resupply.
I suppose you could hire a packer to resupply you from Onion valley but.. why?
We had just summited Mt. Whitney after coming 700 miles from the Mexican border.
We were like "hiking gods".. toned and trail hardened.
Kearsarge was ridiculously easy both ways.
Please understand i am not baggin on your idea.. just providing the perspective we had as thru's
when we reached Kearsarge Pass.
So many things seem difficult until you actually get there.. Whitney.. Forrester pass.. Kearsarge.. the other Sierra passes..
All of them seemed insurmountable back home but when confronted on the hike they were challenging but quite do-able... dare i say easy?
Kearsarge Pass turned out to be a brilliant resupply option for me and quite a few other hikers at any rate. YMMV