[pct-l] bear bagging

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 1 21:13:39 CST 2011

Good evening, Melanie,

Ursack was originally believed to have passed the real-bear test, but
subsequently it failed in field use.  The later addition of a metal “stove
pipe” liner was also deemed unsuccessful by testing.  I have two of them –
one with the removable liner, and one without the liner that I scrounged out
of a hiker barrel somewhere – and I use one or the other occasionally.

I like them.  A determined bear could probably eventually rip the bag apart,
but I tether it close enough to my bed that I can hear the resulting
commotion and get up to give him a good scolding and send him on his way.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09