[pct-l] Nail in the coffin, y'all ...

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 1 20:35:19 CST 2011

I have to weigh in here. Perhaps this ramble will put an end to this discussion thread.

Under the guise of making sure you can communicate with any illegal aliens you may encounter while leaving Campo, let me offer some Spanish language trivia.

The Spanish language distinguishes between singular you and plural you.
Usted is singular you.
Ustedes is plural you.

Let me offer a scenario.

Raul is trying to enter the United States illegally and comes across a solo PCT thru-hiker who shares his plans to hike to Canada. Says Raul: Usted está loco. (translation: "You are crazy.")

Raul continues on and meets a group of PCT thru-hikers who share their collective plan to hike to Canada. Says Raul: Todos ustedes están locos. (translation: "You are all crazy.")

Ernie Castillo
PCT Class of 1980, and an East Los Angeles native who looks Spanish but really is a coconut (translation: brown on the outside, white on the inside) but used it to his advantage while traversing an Indian reservation near Anza