[pct-l] Ankles

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Feb 26 12:49:19 CST 2011

I've been steadily working my way down from high-top to low-top to
more and more minimalist footwear. I have noticed with each step down
that my ankles get a real workout. My most recent attempt was to hike
on a trail wearing some homemade sandals with fairly thin soles. I
would have thought that my homemade shoes were minimal enough, but I
guess the sandals were just that much more minimal. They worked out
well and feeling the workout in my ankles makes me pretty happy. Even
if I never go backpacking in them, I think it's good to gain strength
in the feet and ankles. I never could figure out how boots could
protect your ankles from sprains anyway because nobody ever tightens
them enough to make a cast or brace out of them. Their ankles are
always clearly visible moving around as much as anybody's and in
fact, whenever I watch people walk in boots, they tend to step
without care at all, clumsily crashing into rocks and things, taking
no care to avoid things that could injure them and tipping the ankle
more often than people in shoes. But whatever floats your boat.