[pct-l] PCT/Hiking jokes

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 00:12:47 CST 2011

Kevin asks: "I know my response will change in 4 or 5 months, but the
thought of all that
food makes me queasy right now! Seriously, could a hiker eat THAT much in
one sitting?!?!"

Could a thru hiker eat that much?  Well for starters they could, but they'd
need a bit more for the meal.

Hummingbird had been running an ultra marathon everyday from Campo, 45 to 55
miles per day, and had just finished her first 60 miler out of Saied Valley.
 Can you imagine that with the 7,000' climb on top of it!  She started from
the border almost 2 months after the rest of us and caught us at Ashland.
 This lady is fast!

Anyway, she and I went into Ashland for dinner as she wanted to celebrate.
 We had a big ice cream, then a full dinner, then we had another big ice
cream and washed it down with a second full dinner, after which we had a
night cap of another big ice cream.  If we weren't so darned tired, we
probably would have just gone on and on like that till morning!  And
Hummingbird probably weighed about 100lbs!

Actually your stomach does shrink a bit on trail, and we had to do this over
the course of a whole evening.  What we really wanted to do was eat that
much all at once.  But even the Shroomer couldn't quite manage that.

Shroomer