[pct-l] PCT/Hiking jokes

J M evilempress2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 12:20:40 CST 2011

Austin - an old standby...

The National Forrest Service is advising hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail and
other West Coast remote areas to be alert for bears and take extra precautions
to avoid an encounter. They advise hikers to wear little bells on their clothes
so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming
from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them.
This might cause a bear to charge.

Hikers should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered.
Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it
will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an
idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference
between black bear and grizzly bear scat:

	* Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and
possibly bits of fur.
	* Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
"Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."
www.explorationmonkey.blogspot.com