[pct-l] Stitches

Cosmic Cat cosmic.cat144 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 22:19:07 CST 2011

I will carry superglue (and duct tape) as long as I am a backpacker. It has
saved my ass many times although I have never used it for wound treatment.
Highlights:

I broke my lexan spoon while stirring the cookpot. Used superglue to glue
the shovel part of the spoon to a stick so I could continue cooking and
eating for the rest of the section.

While rafting the Missouri Breaks in MT in a cheapo $45 raft, I put a two
inch hole in the raft whereupon I discovered that we had left the patch kit
in the car. Using duct tape, superglue, and a plastic bag, I managed to
create a patch that allowed us to get to the next road crossing.

During bad weather in the WA Enchantments, my Golite umbrella failed. I was
able to make a field repair in horizontal rain. Without that repair, I would
have turned around and walked back to Snoqualmie pass. Five years later and
I am still using the umbrella with no further repair.

Seriously: carry duct tape and superglue. They are the 11th and 12th
essentials. Unless they are already part of the ten essentials (I can never
remember them anyway). HYOH YMMV etc.

Goodness