[pct-l] Stitches

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 18:26:03 CST 2011

I have carried super glue for many years, and actually went thru 2 tubes of
it last summer on the PCT, as I used it so much, and it was in such demand
by other hikers who did not have it.  I've used it on paper cuts and serious
hand slices for many years and never found it hard to remove if it had to
be.  Soaking the area loosens the edges and it can be worked off.  Usually
it comes off every day or so like a scab anyway, and I just glue down the
edges again, and it's good for a few more days.  Pinching the skin closed
after the bleeding has been controlled and then holding it until the glue
has set is all that is needed.

The best part of Superglue on a wound however is that it forms a hard shell
and stops it from moving about as the area moves, and if you bump something,
it's really protected.  A soft bandage just doesn't protect from bumps as
well, unless the bandage is huge.  In many cases it helps the wound be pain
free.

After hearing this discussion, I'll watch it for infection a bit more
closely, but will always carry it on trail.  How else to keep your Dirty
Girl Gaiter Velcro on the back of your dirty shoe!

Great thread, no pun intended.

Shroomer