[pct-l] Fwd: Canadian Border

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 21:59:58 CST 2011

Hi Ryan,

When we got to the border, there was no one to greet us, and no one waiting
at Manning Park to check our papers, and no one at the border ever asked to
see them.  That being said, I know of 5 people who turned around at the
border because they didn't want to have trouble because they didn't have the
paperwork.  Several more just got it in time to be able to cross over
legally.

What we all do is totally up to each of us.  I wouldn't have crossed without
the proper paperwork because I kayak and hike BC almost every year, and the
thought of being denied entrance for years to come, to one of my favorite
places on the planet, just because of a paperwork snafu that mushroomed into
something bigger, is not worth it.  Will you be stopped?  From what I saw,
probably not, but personally I really like Canada, and if they tell me to
get my U.S. crap in order, I just go ahead and do it.  I really like that
country to the north, and just feel it's the right thing to do what they
ask.

Anyway, it's totally a personal decision.  Some chose to cross anyway, and 5
others within a few days of me chose not to.  I know of 4 who crossed
without the papers, and never heard of any problems.

Shroomer