[pct-l] Global Star Phone

susan woodswitch at hughes.net
Tue Feb 15 12:18:01 CST 2011

I used and continue to use Global Satellite phone.....As Halfmile said the
times you can use it are very limited and as far as for data just forget
that! It is far too slow to be useful. The real benefit of the phone is for
emergencies and I used it to communicate with my resupply when I rode 1,700
PCT miles (over 2,200 total miles) in 09 and again covering 500+ miles in
10. I can't imagine not having it even with the limitations of only being
usable for 15 minutes most hours. It never failed me once I got used to the
timing of the satellite. But would it be necessary/worth it for a hiker? My
guess is a big "no" since you could carry a Spot for emergencies and my
Verizon was pretty dependable for the balance. Catch me off list if you want
any more first hand experience.
Susan
www.woodswitch.com home to my PCT Trail Journals 2009 & 2010

Message: 8