[pct-l] Globalstar Satellite Phone

Kevin hikelite at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 23:53:10 CST 2011

First off, I'm a geek. I love tech stuff and satellite phones make a part of me dance and giggle inside.

That said, I am taking my iPhone with me. I was telling a friend about my plans and how I hoped to use it to stay in touch while on my hike. He thinks I'm nuts. He asked why I didn't want to "unplug" for while. I took his comments to heart. What are we doing on the PCT if were trying to bring the everyone else with us? I'm trying to "exit" for awhile and reconnect to a more natural existence.

Leave the sat phones at home. If you really NEED to let loved ones know your alive, use a Spot.

I've told my employer I will check in when I can in case they need me in exchange for a leave. This offer was made reluctantly though.

While I'm very much in favor of letting my family and friends know I'm OK, and share me experience, I really want to leave the stress and problems of society behind. I fully intend to ignore ALL news that doesnt affect the PCT(ie fire) while on my hike. Do you really want to know everything that is happening while you're hiking?

This is just my humble opinion, but a sat phone would provide too much 2 way communication for my tastes. Maybe this is also why I'm planning my zeroes ON trail to avoid spending too much time in town. HYOH of course. We all have are differing and varied reasons for thru hiking, but my main reason is to get away from "real life", whatever that is. :p

Of course, I'll be trying to hang out with the hikers with sat phones so the little geek in me can secretly covet the blinking lights that represent modern society. ;)

Misspellings and typos brought to you by iPhone.