[pct-l] Hiking Disorder....CHD vs MHD

Gerry Zamora gerry0625 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 19:02:29 CST 2011

Glad to hear im not the only one.  When my wife found me cooking on the
alcohol stove in the back yard talking to the dog....  she looked worried, I
told her not to worry I was working the steps...
Gerry0625
On Feb 14, 2011 4:46 PM, "Cheryl Christensen" <cherylbyfaith at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Bravo!
>
> On 14 February 2011 16:27, Jason Moores <jmmoores1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mr. Shroomer,
>>
>> As agreed upon I am writing to you with a progress report on Patient
>> UL-7.6,
>> trail name: "Jackass". I have taken the time to transcribe the pertinent
>> minutes of today's session with UL-7.6 below, in his own words, to
>> demonstrate the effectiveness of "The Treatment".:
>>
>> " Today is a good day, doc.
>>
>> The past week I had been suffering from an acute case of Feb-itis. Due to
>> previous outbreak last year at this same time I was quick to recognize
the
>> "itis" as it set in on me. My energy was low, my mood turbid as the
clouds
>> that had oppressively settled onto the mountain peaks out my window. My
>> eyes
>> had swollen to mere slits from squinting, my finger tips calloused. My
once
>> bronzed skin had taken on a frightful sallow color. I did not recognize
and
>> found myself a stranger in my mirror without that once magnificent gray
and
>> brown flowing beard that had graced these now sunken cheeks. Muscular
>> atrophy had set in and the tendons in my piston strong legs felt like
spent
>> rubber bands. It felt as though gravel had been poured into my joints. My
>> mid-section increasing at an alarming rate, now turgid, I wondered aloud,
>> 'am I retaining water?' I found myself short of breath as I climbed the
>> stairs to my cloister and I even began to consider carrying a GG carbon
>> fiber trekking pole to make these climbs easier on my swollen knees.
>>
>> My mental state was in shambles and I was at a loss for succor from my
old
>> standby solutions to these dark thoughts. No longer did checking gear
sites
>> for new and lighter equipment relive my malaise. Patching my old pack
>> brought me no joy. Watching Squatch's videos only brought tears to my
>> already swollen eyes...and when I brushed last years dust from my
Lowas...I
>> collapsed into a fit of sobbing that frightened my lovely gal...I'll tell
>> ya
>> doc., hard times...hard times...
>>
>> Now doc. I'll tell ya sumptin else. As you know this will be my seventh
>> summer since you diagnosed me with CHD and as you also know, I rarely
have
>> crisis eight month out of the year... but when this flare-up of Feb-itis
>> set
>> in, I thought I was done for. That's when I dug deep and remembered the
>> sage
>> words of my gracious sponsor, Shroomer. Now doc. I know ya heard this all
>> before but at my lowest moment I heard my friends voice, like it was from
>> on
>> high. It began as a faint whisper that grew to a manic roar... repeating,
>> repeating with vigor, "work your steps, work your steps, it gets better!"
>> In
>> my crippling despair, my darkest moment...I reached deep...deep into that
>> hiker soul that burns within me...and found the strength to rouse myself
>> from my pillow...and doc. I clung to my friends burning call...I began
>> workin them steps!
>>
>> I stepped to my closet and found some wool garments. I stepped into my
>> NorthFace boots and tied them snug. I grabbed hold of my honey and
stepped
>> her out the door. I stepped into my snowshoes and fastened the bindings
>> tight. I took a few deep breaths...and here it comes doc....I started
>> steppin my way up the back valley towards the crest of crags east of my
>> home. Now I know yer not gunna believe this but at that moment the sun
>> broke
>> from behind a peak on that crest. Shone down on us in all its warmth and
>> beauty with an intensity that kindled the coals of my being. With each
step
>> I could feel this Feb-itis receding into the recesses of my conflicted
>> soul. Before long my gal and I had stepped all the way to the trails end,
>> the crest's knife edge. The jagged Wasatch range lay before us awash in
>> snow
>> and sun. A lone Raven, on the wing, called down to us in that moment and
>> doc....I knew what he was squawkin at me, as if cawed in
tongue..."Spring,