[pct-l] To Flare or not to Flare

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 10:38:25 CST 2011

I go about it a bit differently.

I carry two REI matches (or uco stormproof).  (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8BY6AbHL9w - turn your speakers down)

And I carry one ounce of liquid hand sanitizer (in my potty bag) and we all
know that stuff is flammable.

The two together is really about all I need to feel comfortable. I use to
carry the cool little magnesium bars and Firesteel and at one time I even
carried some fatwood with me. But as with most things 'experience from use'
allowed me to lighten my load a bit. Do not want to argue the merits of my
choice verses firesteel, firesteel of course wins out - I can only start a
limited amount of fires. Than again, I do not hike in the remotest places of
Alaska or Siberia. Once you know the SHTF you bunker down and try to stay
dry and stay warm. My choices make my options highly limited. But, I feel
comfortable with my skills with my selection. I suspect that is key. Like
most of our gear - especially those who take nothing but a poncho or a tarp
- they feel comfortable with the gear they have.

Personally, I am with just about everybody else, the weight of a flair does
not seem beneficial at all. If you feel the need, throw in a 6" AmericoGlo
stick http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/lighting/6-sticks - green is the
brightest, than orange, than red. Chances are pretty good if it is night and
you are lost and people are looking for you, and they seem this 6 inch green
or red light, (which goes for 12 hours, longer than any darkness on the PCT)
they are going to come running your way. Plus they make a great way for a
group to hike a night and know where each person is.