[pct-l] Insulation layer

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 11 21:12:04 CST 2011

It's probably a good idea to have something for rain just in case.

Here's a way to handle So Cal weather. When you go to a trail town,
the Los Angeles Times will have a weather page covering all of
Southern California. Look at the High Desert for the temperatures and
then subtract a little bit from the highs. A high of 93 will probably
be closer to 87. The lows will probably be a little lower. The paper
is better than the web site. The web site doesn't have the locations
you need.

The general regional forecast for rain will likely be pretty
accurate. The mountains you'll be walking in form a margin between
the moister, cooler coast and the hot dry deserts. They tend to be
really super windy but they don't tend to form their own weather like
the Sierras. So you won't have daily afternoon thunder storms. But if
the coast or high desert is forecasting rain, you'll get rain and
possibly snow.

Towns to look for on the weather report include San Bernardino, Palm
Springs, Hemet, Lancaster. These are lower in elevation than you and
some are in the desert to the east (despite what everyone says here,
you aren't exactly in what Southern Californians consider "the
desert"), but they are closest to you.

If you are really daring, you can bounce your hard-core rain gear 5
days ahead and rely on the 5-day forecast and soft-core rain gear
like your tent, an umbrella and waiting it out.

I would NOT bounce any warm layers. Southern California isn't really
as warm as the TV wants you to believe. The mountains in So Cal will
be colder than anywhere else on the trail. In So Cal as soon as the
sun drops behind a ridge the temperature drops. It's not uncommon for
the range for a single day to be 80 degrees. 20 at night, 100 during
the day.

Get the 5-day forecast before you get to Campo if possible. If you
get the San Diego paper, Julian is the closest town for the forecast.
If they have Pine Valley, Mt. Laguna and Warner Springs, all the better.