[pct-l] Just another day on the PCT - guns and rattlers and bears and snow

jamie szewczyk jamieszew723 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 10:35:33 CST 2011

This might b my favorite post so far.  Thanks Trail Hacker.  I will keep
that mental picture forever.

Paranoid

On Feb 11, 2011 10:20 AM, <abiegen at cox.net> wrote:

I was hiking up Apache Peak in 2010. It was deep snow conditions and still
coming down. When I got to the top I couldn't figure out how I would be able
to get down through the deep ice covered snow. All of a sudden a large black
bear was there, reared up and growling at me. What could I do?

My pistol was in my bear canister which I hadn't be able to get open for
several days. I reached down and grabbed a large rock. As I lifted it I saw
a rattlesnake had been hiding under the rock. I dropped the rock and picked
up the rattler by the tail. I swung the rattler around over my head; my aim
to throw it at the bear. Then I remembered the flare in the outside pocket
of my backpack.

Just as I reached with my other hand to grab the flare the lightning struck.

The lightning hit the rattlesnake and scared off the bear. It also ignited
my flare and turned my back pack into a jet pack. I flew down the icy slopes
all the way down to Idyllwild where I was surprised to see that the
lightning had also cooked my MRE so I had a nice warm meal ready to eat when
I stopped.

Just another day on the PCT.

TrailHacker

"When my feet get toasted from lightning, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: