[pct-l] Alcohol Fuel resupply on the trail

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:06:14 CST 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Kevin Cook <hikelite at gmail.com> wrote:

> So does it work better in stoves?
>
> Maybe I'll pick up a bottle and try it out. Thanks for the info!

Hey Kevin,

Personally, I find HEET to be the best option out there. Buy the yellow
ones, not the red ones.

The key to what I said above was "pressure".

If you are using an open faced stove (ie: cat can stove) than I fail to see
how either would provide significant advantage (other than availability
on-trail).

However, if you are using a pressurized stove than you can get some true
vaporization.

Stoves such as the hugely popular (and very awesome) MiniBullDesign atomic
-- or my favorite, the mini-atomic -- or others that actually build up
pressure (MBD does it via the screw-top method) just rock. My mini-atomic
can almost beat a jetboil for boil times - and it weights nearly a pound
lighter.

Here was an interesting video that Jason did a couple years ago.

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2009/10/heet-vs-slx-denatured-alcohol.html

At the end of the day, I think his results pretty much speak for themselves.

John