[pct-l] Ride to the ADZPCTKO from the trail.

Lisa Freathy rainorshinecamper at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 15:44:06 CST 2011

Hi Joyce,

I would love to hear more about the Snow Skills course if you have time to
share!!

I am going next month and have no idea what to expect. They say you can "test
run" all of your PCT gear but most of my PCT gear is intended for spring/summer
hiking/camping, not winter! For example, I'll be using mesh covered trail
runners on the PCT, would you suggest these at the snow skills course? I don't
want to have to buy special waterproof shoes just for this course so my only
other option would be to use my snowboarding boots which are bulky and not great
for hiking. I used these trail runners while snowshoeing last month but that was
a quick day trip without much elevation gain. My feet got wet but stayed warm
w/wool socks so it was no biggie. Not sure which option would be best, the trail
runners or waterproof snowboarding boots. Also, I imagine I will want some
additional warm layers in early March that I don't necessarily plan on using
while on the PCT. Did you pack as you plan to on your thru hike or did you
prepare for this course differently?

What did you find most challenging? Was it the distance hiked in snow, the
elevation, the conditions that particular weekend, a combo or something else
entirely?

Thanks for sharing if you can!
 Lisa

"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb
a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
~ John Muir