[pct-l] Bears: Risk of becoming a fatality? Statistics of interest here

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Feb 8 17:55:45 CST 2011

> Bears: Risk of becoming a fatality? Statistics of interest here

The whole scary bear and scary snake thing gets really old after a
while. People worry about the wrong thing. Whenever people ask me
"what did you use for safety" they always mean did I carry anything
to protect me from bears or snakes. Or else they ask me if I was
scared and they almost always mean did any bears or snakes frighten
me. What they should ask was how scary was the water? Did you have
any close calls with water. Water is by far the most dangerous and
frightening thing on the trail. Frozen or liquid.