[pct-l] Tents vs Tarps - Bivies?

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Sun Feb 6 22:04:31 CST 2011

I used to enjoy tent-less camping in the Sierras years ago.  But I'm now mostly using a tent.  Bivys are too confining.  The tent I've used the last three years (Sierra Designs) weighs 61.5 ounces, complete weight including a 6.8 ounce "footprint".  I've got a new Henry Shires Tarptent, 25.1 ounces (without a footprint/ground sheet) but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.  I've done some camping with a tarp, but I'm pretty leery of blowing rain and mosquitoes and no-see-ums.