[pct-l] Why don't we wee more Thoracic bags (front packs / balance pockets / bodypack) in the Industry?

Kevin hikelite at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 10:43:00 CST 2011

How do you get the weight onto your hips? A front pack would ensure the load rests on my shoulders all day. No thanks. I'm a wanna be photographer, so I carry a DSLR and lenses into the backcountry most of the time. I have a nice Lowe Pro bag that I hang from my sternum strap. I can totally feel the weight there. All day, everyday. For my PCT hike, I'm only bring one lens first of all, and I think I came up with a better way to carry the camera securely and still provide quick access. My goal this time is have the weight suspended from my hip belt.

I'll admit I didn't look at the links, but I think I know what you're describing. My experience with the camera bag hanging in front yells me no thanks.

One other downside... Visibility. You can't see your feet. Not a huge deal most of the time, but sometimes it can be. HYOH and YMMV, but I would offer a strong recommendation against a front pack.

Misspellings and typos brought to you by iPhone.