[pct-l] Maps Etc.- Most Used ??

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Sat Feb 5 11:36:25 CST 2011

Sourdough,

I hope you're not expecting 4 answers to the same question.

Last year I carried Halfmile's maps and corresponding pages torn from Yogi's PCT Handbook.  I also sent myself pages from the Data Book and the Guidebook, but I quickly found them redundant, not as useful, and unread.  The Guidebook's maps, being in black and white and at a larger scale, weren't useful at all.

Many hikers carried Eric the Black's Atlas and liked it.  Several times I was hiking with people who had different maps, and we used both or all three to confirm where we were or where we should go.  This was especially the case in the Sierra, where wayfinding is more complicatred by the fact that the trail in covered with snow and therefore invisible.  Through the Sierra, I strongly suggest adding the Tom Harrison maps.

By the way, you can download and print Halfmile's maps for free, or you can buy the whole set from a printer in Portland,  " ... Lazerquick ( www.lazerquick.com ).  The print quality is excellent, much better than my printer at home or any of the many laser printers at work.

The prices seem reasonable considering the quality. Lazerquick's price is $75 (plus Shipping) for 2-sided color printing of all my maps the PCT. ... They offer discounts for quantities of 10 or 20 if enough hikers wanted to go in together do a group order.

The Lazerquick I have been dealing with is in Portland Oregon. The email is center48 at lazerquick.com ; the phone number is 503-228-6306. Ask them about "Halfmile's PCT Maps" and they should know what you are talking about. "

I did this and liked them for several reasons - (1) they're printed on both sides of the paper, which saves weight; (2) the laser printing is more water-resistant than inkjet printing; and (3) the time-savings over printing out all the HM map sheets on my slow inkjet printer.

Mango