[pct-l] layering

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Feb 4 15:54:20 CST 2011

On 2/4/2011 11:46 AM, Tow, Doug wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> I respectfully request some examples from cold weather experiences
> from some patient folks, as I do not have a lot of experience facing
> it. When you are up in camp in the morning, but still some time away
> from hiking out, and it's gray and 37 degrees, what layering might
> you be using to stay comfortable?

If I am up in camp in the morning, I am packing up my camp. It does not
take more than 20 minutes. I might put on a jacket, but I don't want to
layer up, since I will hiking soon, and whatever layers I put on will
come off right away.

> Or, you have hiked out, and stop for breakfast, and it's 37 degrees,
> same question, I suppose.

Breakfast was stuffed into my pockets as I was packing up camp, and is
being eaten as I hike.

I wasn't out on the trail long enough to give good advice on what layers
to bring with you, but you may consider the fact that you won't spend a
lot of time just standing around on a cold morning. In fact, if the
weather is as hot as it was in 2008, you will be in a rush to put in as
many miles as you can before things really heat up around 9:00 AM.