[pct-l] layering

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 14:24:54 CST 2011

hi, hoe this doesn't turn into a novel.

to start,  it is 85% about where you live.  you should see my in-laws from
winnipeg out there in literally T shirts in 35 degrees if it's sunny.    for
me,  i need long sleeves at about 50 F.

you mention:
"When you are up in camp in the morning, but still some time away from
hiking out"

and i disagree with that situation,   the faster you get hiking,  the sooner you
get warm;  and the more time you can rest in the 90 degree afternoon sun.

we make our goal to go from 'alarm beeping' to walking in 25 minutes.  that is,
camp packed,  packs on,  snack eaten,  and walking down the trail.  when we do
this,   10 miles by noon is an easy goal;  and when it gets hot you can sit
around and enjoy nature.

as for what i plan to bring ... i plan to be ready for some days in the 20's.  i
have marino 150weight icebreaker longjohns.  i've had smartwool and they
shredded.  i have a youtube video about my clothing choices on my channel.  i
work in the underground,  so i try a lot of different clothing.  a typical pair
of levi's jeans lasts me about 15 days before it goes in the trash at my work.

i'm used capilene 3,  excellent product, remarkably durable,  plenty warm... in
fact, too warm for my needs at 25 - 30 F.   i have found the bodyfit 150 g / m^2
icebreaker leggings to be more durable than smartwool (never tried ibex) and
much more comfortable and versatile than capilene.

for my insulation,  i aim over rather than under ... i LOVE ... repeat  L O V E
my montbell alpine light down jacket.  it is all i need for 20F and down
bellow,  but breathes so well it's comfortable into the 50's.  on a super cold
night i can sleep in it... i often use it as a pillow.  it can be had for like
130$ which is an insane deal for a 9 ounce down coat,  4 ounces of 850 fill
insulation.
it's not as durable as the more heavy shell type materials i wear at work,  but
it's perfect for our hiking purposes.  and repels water wonderfully.

i have found with my normal pants,  no long johns ... i have never had to do
more than slip on a jacket during a break if it's around freezing or above.   if
i get that cold i can always get walking some more.

morning and night are the hard parts...   morning ... get walking !  go go go,
move quickly get your blood flowing.  if i didn't have my wife with me i think
my 'alarm beeping' to walking time would be in the 12 to 15 minute range...

for evenings ... get out of your sweaty grimey stuff,  put on some longjohns and
a light down coat and you'll be good for however cold it gets.   if it's 15F and
snowing ...  you can always retreat to your sleeping bag.

i find a lot of people overpack clothing.  i am guilty of it too.

hope some of this helps, i am more than happy to give any other details you'd
want...  for reference my total clothing for the trail :::

- running shorts
- arcteryx rampart pants
- MHW whicked light shirt
- icebreaker bodyfit 150 longjohns
- icebreaker bodyfit 150 short sleeve shirt
- montbell down jacket
- MHW typhoon jacket (got on sale for 90$... 'passable' )
- marmot ultralight softshell gloves
- smartwool cuffed beanie
- tilley sun hat
no underwear.

... i can't say enough good about a quality wool beanie to wear.  i support
icebreaker for it's durability, but my beanie happens to be smartwool... and
it's not like it goes through enough abrasion to 'wear it out'  i've had it for
3 years.  i sleep in mine,  and wear it in the mornings and it makes a huge
difference.

i Never hike in my long johns...  i keep them nice and warm for laying around
camp and sleeping.  i have foudn with the montbell jacket i can get away with a
shortsleeved shirt instead of a longjohn style shirt... but if you go longjohn
style ... DEFINITELY splurge for the zip top.

my humble opine,
~Outpost