[pct-l] Tents vrs Tarps - Numbers do not make sense

Jason Moores jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 00:44:18 CST 2011

John,

I would also argue the temp. difference between your tent and a tarp. When I
bring my tarp in tight for a cold night, I sleep quite warm. Pitched right a
tarp can be very efficient at trapping your body heat, perhaps as well as
most tents. If you can handle a 32 deg. quilt with your tent, it can be done
with a tarp.

Kevin made some very good points about condensation and a willingness to be
uncomfortable from time to time.

If you can concede that you wouldn't need to change your sleeping bag, the
numbers start to look a bit better. Here's the set up that I plan to use:
polycryo sheet, MLD Mini Solo, Six Moon Designs bug net = 12.4oz without
stakes, that would be 11.6 oz.off of your weight.

I'll only be carrying the bug net north of KM and will ditch it when I feel
it safe. That will put me at 5.4oz.

There is nothing wrong with your current tent, it looks like a great design,
especially if you can ride out a storm without condensation. You can carry
just the tarp or add the beak if you feel that you need it, with or without
the net.

Your original post stated that you were trying to lower your base to 7# and
asked for suggestions to get ya there. You also asked how do people get to
sub 5#. The answer to both is trimming ounces, they add up. Combine this
weight difference with some of the additional weight saving suggestions that
others have made and you'll get there.

Also, if you consider the difference in volume of a 3.8oz tarp to that of
your tent, in addition to removing a few more items that you find you don't
need,you might be able to go to the next smaller pack that you were looking
at-and again the weight goes down a bit.

You obviously like your tent. Stick with it. Play around with using only the
tarp segment. If it's not for you...hell, ya can't really complain about a
24oz shelter.

Jackass