[pct-l] Tents vrs Tarps - Numbers do not make sense

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 22:19:19 CST 2011

Hey Kevin,

I don't have numbers. The flaw is assuming the minimalist tent will allow
> that much of a difference in sleeping bags. The ultra light tents will be a
> single wall design and therefore have condensation. Especially when the
> temps are low enough to warrant the greater protection and/or warmer bag. To
> control condensation in these shelters, you have to vent them. At that
> point, what's the difference? With a tarp you can pitch it lower in bad
> weather to minimize the air flowing through. I think my point is that the
> temp difference won't be 12 degrees.

Totally agree... IF these tents were single wall tents.

The HMG is a double wall tent that suffers from zero condensation (well, ok,
after 9 days of 100% rain the tarp began to suffer from condensation) See
here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hyperlite_mountain_gear_echo_shelters_review.html#352115and
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hyperlite_mountain_gear_echo_shelters_review.html#353518for
my write-ups on this)

The ZPcks tent is a double wall tent that should also suffer from zero
condensation. (I say 'should' because it is new and nobody has had a chance
to test this yet).

The GG One however, is not. The GG, like any TarpTent, would suffer from
condensation (I've personally encountered it)

But the HMG and ZPacks should not suffer any condensation or saturation.

That said, I have never gotten 12-degrees of warmth from a tent (at least,
not that I could discern was 12-degrees). I sleep cold so I am lucky to get
8-10.

Thanks for the comments/thoughts.

John
Redwood Guy