[pct-l] All the legs

Scott public at postholer.com
Sun Dec 18 14:07:33 CST 2011

In terms of trail impact, YMMV:
Every unruly dog equals 1/4 of an unruly hiker
Every unruly llama equals 5 unruly hikers
Every unruly horse equals 10 unruly hikers
Every unruly pack train equals 100 unruly hikers

At some point I suspect mt bikers will make a full frontal legal claim
to the PCT. What worries me the most, how can you allow a stock animal
and deny a mt biker?

The denial of the disparity between the impact of a single bike .vs a
single horse will be our collective undoing. Based solely on impact,
there is no reason to not allow bikes.

For those in denial about the impact of your mode of transportation, ask
yourself, "Am I actually helping mt bikers with their cause?"

-postholer

As the discussions continue on the various groups that use and or
maintain the trail we all love I would only offer this.
Not one group is better then the other and I think we can all easily
look to our own kind and easily find a moment in
which we thought "You really didn't just do that".

In no particular order.

For every great dog I met I also ran across unruly dogs with bad manners
and handlers.
For every great horse I met I also ran across unruly horses with bad
manners and handlers.
For every great Stock train I met I also ran across unruly stock trains
with bad manners and handlers.
For every great Llama I met I also ran across unruly Llamas with bad
manners and their handlers.
For every great backpacker I met I also ran across unruly backpackers
with bad manners.

Lots of groups do great things for the trail and also terrible things to
the trail. We all need to take the
time to educate our own before we heap criticism on any other group.

Hiking Irish.
--
www.postholer.com