[pct-l] Fw: Re: Dogs in National Parks/horses/mules/llamas

James Vesely JVesely at edmsupply.com
Fri Dec 16 08:44:56 CST 2011

When I did my JMT hike with my wife a few years back I contacted a pack outfit to see how much it would cost me to have a food drop taken to the bear boxes at the Rae Lake Ranger station.    The outfit told me that I could not add my dunnage to an existing already scheduled pack trip and when I added up the cost of a lead horse, lead rider and mule for the two day in and out trip it came out to over $300.  The outfit told me that they didn't have a problem with me contacting the people with planned trips and working something out with them directly but they wouldn't contact customers on my behalf or give me their names.

I don't mind commercial pack trips into the area's that I hike but you would think that these commercial pack outfits might be more accommodating to the average hiker who might want to piggyback a small food drop (for a reasonable fee) into an area that they are already going to.   I know the pack outfits are there to make a profit and I am okay with that but I think us two hoofed hikers might have a little more appreciation of there presence or should I say presents on the trail if they would show a more friendly hiker attitude.

Jim