[pct-l] NEO Air + Tyvek

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 13:22:53 CST 2011

I use a Thermarest self-inflating air mattress. It is  47'' long, 20" wide and inflates to 1.5". It packs down to 4" x 11" and weighs about a pound - perhaps a little less. It is very comfortable to sleep on. I like that I can adjust the softness or firmness determined by how much air I might want to add after it self-inflates. Of course. you must be careful to avoid anything sharp beneath it. I have never had a puncture. I do use a piece of Tyvek under it.  Also under it,are the floor of the tent (a MSR Hubba) and it's footprint. A precaution that I routinely do before placing the tent, which is free-standing, is to take the time to carefully examine the ground. I do that visually and ALSO use the backside of my digging trowel (I bring it for digging cat holes) in a sweeping motion like a windshield wiper to locate rocks or anything else that would be sharp. Be especially careful that there are no parts of conifer cones that might have sharp
 points.
MendoRider-Hiker