[pct-l] PCT Snow vs Winter Mountaineering

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Dec 9 20:24:35 CST 2011

I don't have a lot of winter or snow experience but you are
absolutely right about all those steep side slopes. That's
practically all the PCT is. It took me until somewhere around Glenn
Pass to have my V8 moment: Duh! This is a "Crest Trail." That's why
it's always up so high.

I had a fantasy much of the way through So Cal anyway that I would
design the Pacific Appropriate Trail where the trail would go through
canyons so there was always plenty of fresh water and stay in the
trees in the Sierras so you could enjoy the wildflowers and pretty
meadows.

Diane