[pct-l] PCT Snow vs Winter Mountaineering

Dale Combs comebackwalking at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 16:01:33 CST 2011

I feel at home in the mountains in winter with crampons/ice axe/snowshoes.
I feel at home on the PCT in the summer when I've been in 50% snow situations.
In the winter, not on the PCT, I'm usually going up or coming down.
What makes me nervous is when I'm on a steep side slope.
The PCT seems to have tons of steep side slope.
So even for a person who feels comfortable with snow, I would still
be worried, if it was myself. Of course snow conditions vary so widely over the course
of hours that it's hard to imagine saying anything definitive.

Can someone else give me their opinion. I'm kind of ignorant on the situation.

Comfy