[pct-l] Lightweight Packs

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 17:37:26 CST 2011

I started with an Osprey Exos, which I loved, but it was falling apart
after 500 miles of desert.  REI took it back no problem as it was clearly
failing at numerous points.  Then I went to the Osprey Atmos which held up
alright, but made me hike a bit stooped over.  The airspace at the back is
very cooling and comfortable, but it pushes your center of gravity a bit
backward, forcing you to stoop forward to compensate.  Not comfortable.
 Then just out of Ashland I tried on Plain Slices new ULA Circuit.  I
suddenly stood straight up.  I was sold and as we had a bit of cel
reception I called ULA, gave them my measurements over the phone and had
one shipped to Crater Lake.  I never looked back.  I used it again this
year when rehiking WA, and the only problem is one hip belt pocket zipper
has blown, but I'm sure it can be replaced.

In 2010, Smiles had the Catalyst and loved having the bit of extra room,
Little Engine had the CDT, smaller than either of the others, and loved
that.  I've bought a CDT and used it for short excursions and found it very
comfortable and will try to pare things down enough to use it on the CDT
next year.  I agree with the above.  ULA's were the most common pack in
2010, and for good reason.

Shroomer