[pct-l] Lightweight packs

Janet Grossman janetgr at Cableone.net
Tue Dec 6 19:36:23 CST 2011

Looking into buying a new, lighter pack for my PCT hike next year.
Torn between one of ULA's packs or one of Six Moon Designs'.  Any
suggestions/reviews?  I am somewhat hesitant to make the jump to
full-on frameless...is it actually anything like comfortable to go
frameless when carrying 5 plus liters of water? Any input is
appreciated.

Bone Lady,
I started out on the PCT with a Gossamer Gear G4, used that to Kennedy Meadows (southern one). After that I switched to a ULA Catalyst, which works a LOT better for me and is well worth the extra weight of the pack. I have an old neck/shoulder injury and had ongoing pain from the G4 because all the weight was on my shoulders. When I started out from KM with my Bear Vault 500 in the Catalyst, I was much more comfortable than the friend I was with who was using his G4.

Janet