[pct-l] 78% hike Cascade Locks to White Pass - skip Trout Lake

Shian Sung shian.sung at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 00:13:53 CST 2011

Sad to hear about Stabler's Country Store. It was a welcome oasis to
stop by and get dry and have biscuits and gravy as it was raining
pretty heavily for the two days prior. The highlight was seeing one of
Scott Williamson's drop boxes (he had sent out the boxes but cancelled
his trip in 2010) there. We all took pictures with it because we are
all huge trail nerds like that.

Two things about Trout Lake:

1) It is probably one of the toughest hitches on the trail. It's a
small road leading into town that doesn't see much traffic at night
and on weekdays. There's definitely no cell service at the trailhead.
Three of our group got to the trailhead at dusk and only one car went
by the rest of the night. They ended up coming in the next morning.

That being said, Bigfoot and I arrived at the trailhead in the early
afternoon and promptly got a ride into Trout Lake, which leads me to:

2) Trout Lake was absolutely one of my favorite spots on the trail.
The little store at the road junction had the most amazing homemade
blackberry pies, ice cream, wifi, and was very accommodating to hikers
(and they rent rooms in the back) - there's also a fantastic burger
place right down the road. All the townspeople are super nice. Then
there's the Trout Lake Abbey. Hands down one of the best places I
stayed on the entire PCT, which is full of welcoming hostels and trail
angels, Kozen who I believe runs this Buddhist/Druidic retreat will
come pick you up from the store and take you to the retreat, do your
laundry, house you and possibly feed you if you decide to stay there
(it's not free). It is a beautiful, spiritual place and really put me
in a great place for the rest of the trail. Kozen is the one who keeps
the barrels of trail magic at the road crossing maintained for the
last two years as well.

http://www.tlabbey.com/index.htm

The best part is I had no idea it existed until I got there. Like so
many other things on the PCT, the discovery is such a huge part of the
magic. Never will I forget cresting the ridge and seeing Crater Lake
for the first time.

-Barrel Roll