[pct-l] Trail Conditions in Sierras

Jim Banks jbanks4 at socal.rr.com
Mon Aug 29 22:38:34 CDT 2011

Based on conditions from August 18th through August 26th.  All of the passes north of where the Kearsarge Pass trail intersects the PCT up to Red’s Meadow – Glen, Pinchot, Mather, Muir, Selden, and Silver have some snow.  But only the south side of Muir Pass has anything substantial.  Muir Pass, which I did on August 21st, has five or six stretches of snow that go on for 100 yards or so, separated by dry rock piles.  Nothing that is dangerous, it just slows you down and makes you work harder.  The paths through the snow are pretty easy to follow.  Sometimes once you get to the rock pile you have to look around for a few minutes to see where the paths start through the snow again on the other side.   Sun cups are 2 to 3 feet deep in places.  Silver pass has one patch of snow just below the summit on the north side that is a little steeper than the rest, but again if you just follow the footsteps and go slowly it is not a big deal.  I think the snow on all the passes except Muir will eventually melt out this year.  I think Muir Pass will still have snow when the first snow flies this year.

The deepest creek crossings – Kings River, Evolution Creek and Bear Creek were all below my knees  (I am 5’ 10” tall) and not flowing that strong.  Creek crossings were actually refreshing because the cold water soothed all the mosquito bites on my legs for a few minutes.  The mosquitoes are pretty bad.

There is lots of water available on the trail.  I never carried more than one liter.

I had a great time at both MTR and VVR.  Would recommend both places.  There were a LOT of south bound JMT hikers (most with enormous and heavy packs).  One day I counted 79 southbound JMT hikers and probably averaged about 45 each day.

I-Beam