[pct-l] PCT-L now in forum format

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Aug 24 15:29:14 CDT 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Ryan Brooks wrote:

> On 8/24/11 3:10 PM, Ryan Brooks wrote:
>> Two things:
>>
>> - I did not get asked or notified about this prior to seeing the
>> thread here, which I would have preferred.
>>
>> - List posts are owned by the posters, not me or Brick.

Hmm.  There is a concept of compilation copyright also.  Not sure
if there is any precedent for its use with mailing list archives.  But..

Any republication of the mailing list messages must come from:
	1) being subscribed to the list
	2) "screen scraping" the official archives

It seems to me that in the case of 1), there could be conditions on
the subscription to prevent republication of the list traffic without
permission.

It seems to me that in the case of 2), there would be a strong copyright
retained by Ryan.

Whether it makes sense to limit republication of the mailing list via 1) or 2)
is a tough question, but I think that Ryan/Brick certainly have that
option.

Note:  Individual posters might have some leverage in asking that their
own messages not get republished but I think they would have to ask each
individual republisher rather then depend on some generic legal disclaimer
at the bottom of their message.  I say this because the act of posting to the list
is tacit approval that the message get distributed with few restrictions--absent
any conditions imposed by Ryan/Brick for subscribing to the list.

Warning: I'm not a lawyer.

Radar