[pct-l] Shoes vs insoles

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Aug 20 19:02:13 CDT 2011

I started in the 60s with VAsque Whitneys - big, heavy boots, and had
blisters non-stop.  I used lighter leather boots with vibram soles for a
decade,.  In the mid-nineties I went to lighter fabric boots, and then
the New Balance 800 series and never looked back.

I put in Ed Visturs (sp?) insoles and take out the nb insoles.  You heat
these insoles up in the oven, put them in the shoe and stand in them a
bit til they cool down and mold to your foot.   I haven't had a blister
in 15 years.

I also wear very tight, thin socks and dirty girl gaitors.  If I'm
sweating a lot I'll wear two pair of socks a day, rinsing one for manana...

Running shoes make hiking a whole different experience.

My guess is that if my base weight wasn't 13 pounds or so, and didn't
wear running shoes, I wouldn't be hiking.

Jeff..