[pct-l] Official reply for cook stoves

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Thu Aug 18 10:57:18 CDT 2011

Alcohol stoves may be an unknown subject to the whims of who you ask. Sometime they are mentioned, usually not. They sometimes specifically allow jellied fuel stoves aka Sterno, which don't have an on/off valve.

No question alcohol stoves have their safety quirks. But so do other stoves. I've come closer to a problem with pressurized gas stoves than alcohol stoves though. Fireballs when starting up, leaking gaskets and valves shooting flames. Sometimes the pressure is the problem.

I'm using a Pocket Rocket this year. The stove is three ounces. The fuel is 14 iirc full. I would take the same weight in alcohol but wouldn't have the heavier empty canister. This may be offset by more heating capacity.

Either way, be safe.

AsABat
PCT Water Reports SoCal http://pct.4jeffrey.net
Send water updates to water at 4jeffrey.net

Jackie McDonnell <yogihikes at gmail.com> wrote:

I'm *pretty sure* that alcohol stoves are not considered "self contained",
because they do not have an on/off switch, and they are basically an open
flame in a cup. If I remember correctly, when there are fire bans in SoCal,
those bans include alcohol stoves. I would assume it's the same everywhere,
but I could be wrong.

Yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Andrea Dinsmore <
andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com> wrote:

> DNR RE SOUTHEAST REGION to Andrea
> show details 8:16 AM (2 minutes ago)
>
> Dear Andrea,The Pacific Crest Trail likely crosses jurisdictions with the
> Forest Service and National Parks federal land manager systems. There are
> different regulations according to locations and jurisdictions. For
> example, the Pacific Crest Trail passes through the Alpine Lakes Wilderness
> in Kittitas County and the rules are no fires above 5000 feet and no fires
> at specific camping areas mostly at heavily used lakes. Self contained
> fuel
> source stoves are allowed however.Washington State falls in Region 6 of the
> National Forest and I believe you could get accurate information for the
> PCT
> route from the Cle Elum Ranger Station. Ask for Nancy Jones at
> 509-852-1100. The Department of Natural Resources has a complete burn ban
> on
> State managed lands with the exception of developed campgrounds with
> designated metal fire pits in the ground until September 30, 2011. No
> charcoal fires, only self contained fuel source stoves. Lucy SchmidtOffice
> Assistant IIISoutheast RegionWashington State Department of Natural
> Resources (DNR)(509) 925-8510lucy.schmidt at dnr.wa.govwww.dnr.wa.gov

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: