[pct-l] is it too late to start the trail?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Aug 15 18:58:08 CDT 2011

Southbounders tend to complete their hikes around that time of year.
And being a Southern California resident, I enjoy hiking in our local
mountains in October and November, preferring it to other times of
the year. Our rainy season begins in October or November, so until
the first rains begin, water will be in short supply. You can assume
any creek listed as seasonal will be dry. So plan and prepare and you
will enjoy bug free, beautiful weather and beautiful scenery as the
dried flowers and fall colors provide, in my opinion, prettier
pictures, not to mention the nicer sunsets toward the end of the year.

Lots of thru-hikers also come back to portions of the trail to clean
up sections further north they may have missed due to fire or
difficult conditions. The High Sierra can be nice in October, but not
too late. The Southern Sierra is lovely in the fall, but can be
pretty cold. The northern California section around the Belden-Burney
Falls area can also be nice.

I don't know how the rest of the trail is since I lack any fall
experiences to share.