[pct-l] PLBs, SPOT, and SATs

Janet Grossman janetgr at Cableone.net
Fri Aug 12 20:08:51 CDT 2011

I'm really un-technological, finally got a cell phone a couple years ago
but almost never turn it on. However,  I started out alone at Echo
Summit on 7/28, planning to get to Oregon this trip, and fell on the
snow about 3 miles north of Barker Pass on 7/29, so at about mile 35 out
of the planned 640. I knew my shoulder blade was rather badly hurt after
sliding about 15 feet to the end of the snow and then falling off the
edge into a snow-melt creek. I was clear that I didn't need an air evac,
which was good since I couldn't get a cell phone connection down in the
canyon. I ended up camping in a dry area across from the creek, glad I
had my long pants and sleeves and headnet already on since I couldn't
use my shoulder well enough to set up my tent. The next morning I
climbed back up and over to Barker Pass and got a ride into Truckee to
an Urgent Care. Although the x-rays there didn't show a fracture, I
realized I was in way too much pain to consider hiking anymore, so made
my way home to AZ. The orthopedic guy I saw here thinks my shoulder
blade is fractured even though his x-rays also don't show it, so we're
waiting for my insurance to approve the CT scan he wants to do to see
what's going on. What I know is that every time I do much with my arm, I
feel moving and crunching in my shoulder blade, as well as excruciating
pain. Anyway, all this has made me think that perhaps even I will break
down and invest in a SPOT for my attempt at the same hike next year, as
of course my situation could have been very much worse.
Janet