[pct-l] Trip report-CA section G-long

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Aug 12 23:39:56 CDT 2011

Dr. Moore speaks words of wisdom. Take them to heart.

Ciprofloxacin carries a black box warning because of the high risk of tendon
rupture associated with its use. Even a single use has reportedly resulted
in rupture. That does NOT mean it will for you; just that it did in the
study.

For that reason, I discarded my earlier Rx for Cipro and asked my doctor to
prescribe a different antibiotic without the tendon rupture potential. He
offered 2 possibilities; one that targets primarily systemic (respiratory,
intestinal and urinary tract) infections and another that targets primarily
wound and physical damage infections. I am never more than five days from
access to medical care and decided I was more likely to encounter the latter
while hiking in the western mountains. Accordingly, he wrote me a Rx for 20
Cephalexin 500 mg capsules and included detailed instructions on not only
how to take it, but more importantly, when to take it.

The importance of having a good long-term relationship with your doctor,
especially one who is also an outdoorsman, cannot be overstated. It will go
a long way in convincing him or her to give you non-refillable prescriptions
for small quantities of antibiotics and/or heavy-duty pain medications in
accordance with the risks associated with where and how you hike. He/she
will know you are not just drug-seeking.