[pct-l] horse hiking

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 16:13:01 CDT 2011

Hey - - - Lost and Found, Marge, Dianne, and  All,

What I sent to our list was something I had written over a year ago to help advise aspiring PCT riders.  Diane and others had wondered about the capabilities of "a horse" to travel on the PCT. If you might be interested in reading more on the subject you can find it on Yahoo Search by TYPING in:         edandersonpct          all one word, no spaces.

While riding through Southern California I met hiker Tom Bache. We journeyed together for two days. Tom was interested in seeing what it would be like to ride a horse on the PCT. You can scroll down at that search location and find what Tom wrote. He has since then (since 2008) acquired an Arabian horse and now does endurance races with his son, David.  This summer they rode together nearly 2000 miles, over six weeks, on the Pony Express Trail  It was a family adventure as Tom's wife followed them with the motorhome and trailer. Tom has Section hiked the PCT - California and Oregon so far. When he finishes the hike I would not be surprised if he starts out again - on a horse.

I would like to say that I have been privileged to have met and befriended many wonderful and special hikers and angels during my PCT journeys and at the three Kickoffs that I have attended.. They have made this equestrian feel very welcomed into the PCT community. I will be back on the trail later this month. I'm just waiting for the High Sierra snow to melt enough for safe equestrian travel.

MendoRider